Kids love repetition. This is coming from the guy/child that watched National Lampoon’s Vacation twice a day, every day, for an entire summer back in 1987. Wally World dad.
The problem with repetition, especially in the world of children’s literature, is that most of it is a nicely bound pile of baby turds. Sorry to those authors of baby turds. Wipe your tears with your next book advance check.
The kid has decent taste in books. Sure, he sometimes likes to hear dad and the Permanent Roommate read aloud vomit like A Fish Out of Water from the Dr. Seuss money machine (couldn’t think of good Seuss-like rhyme for vomit so I had to settle) but he can be swayed to listen to a few that his parents actually don’t mind reading ad nauseum.
Here are five books I recommend for the book shelf.
Flotsam — I hated Flotsam at first, because it doesn’t have words, but I grew to love it because…well…it doesn’t have words. It’s hard to get sick of making up your own story, especially when you can skip over whole sections by just saying things like “kid leaves” and “then that happened.”
Chowder — It’s about a bulldog that ruins a kickball game. I’ve said too much already.
No, David! — The entire book has about thirty words, most being…you guessed it. Replace the name David with your kid’s name and you’ll think it’s an autobiography.
Dinosaurs Love Underpants — It’s absurd, hilarious and every time we hit a certain part the kid points to a pair of drawers and says “too pinchy” and it cracks me up every time.
I’m a Shark — Funnier than any show on NBC right now. Except maybe Dateline.
Got a book you think I’d enjoy reading to the kid? Drop me a line messagewithabottle [@] gmail.com or leave it in the comments. If you’re an adult, check out my new book. It’s not for kids.
- hahahaley likes this
- lilylovesturtles likes this
- forever-his-cynic reblogged this from twohourartist
- twohourartist reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- spaghettistripes likes this
- sweetteaiv likes this
- secret-somewhere likes this
- trapdoor likes this
- lolipoptalia likes this
- juicyfruithoneybee likes this
- tiebz likes this
- flawedbeautyy reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- aliciaakins likes this
- wmayborg likes this
- fluffbuckles likes this
- lovelettersandbrokenpromises reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- lovelettersandbrokenpromises likes this
- oranges-have-feelings-too likes this
- sialgonotegustacambialo likes this
- kmacrn01 likes this
- adventures-in-odd reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- adventures-in-odd likes this
- joprociuk likes this
- mamagellen reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- leftofnormal likes this
- obnoxiouscupcakes likes this
- aaalllison likes this
- selfevidentdaily reblogged this from messagewithabottle and added:
- sweetdonnasun likes this
- caseofduhgiggles likes this
- humanbeing57 likes this
- rosegrrl reblogged this from messagewithabottle and added:
- searchingformygreatperhaps reblogged this from messagewithabottle and added:
- moxylane likes this
- peteyboy100 likes this
- kariipop likes this
- prettygirlandastoner likes this
- jerino reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- forgetful-mama likes this
- ison84 likes this
- corinnebrown likes this
- anothermommy likes this
- nicoleff likes this
- lolkay likes this
- rickyandsusanstephens likes this
- paulwhoisadad reblogged this from messagewithabottle and added:
- asymmetriphobic reblogged this from messagewithabottle
- asymmetriphobic likes this
- dianacook likes this
- elpollomyloco reblogged this from messagewithabottle